Thursday, February 16, 2006

When Disciples Stand in the Way of a Miracle

I'm sure I've piqued your curiosity with the title of today's entry. Although it sounds somewhat humorous to say- the sad part is that it is often true. I could spend page upon page dealing with the shortcomings of Jesus' disciples. It seems they were always saying and doing the wrong things. Aren't you glad that God allowed us to see the type of men that He used to turn the world upside down? Looking at the group of men that Christ chose (in spite of their obvious shortcomings) gives someone like me hope that I can be used as well. Actually we shouldn't be too hard on them- given the same set of circumstances, we probably would have made the same errors (if not worse). Christ uses earthen vessels (some translations render the phrase "jars of clay") to accomplish His purposes so that He alone receives the glory. The Psalmist declares that man is made lower than the angels and asked the question that we often ask right along with him "what is man that thou art mindful of him?" In another place we read of the frailty of man and the fact that he is merely made of dust. This does not however, justify the sinful behaviors and attitudes that disciples of Christ sometimes display. I've decided to illustrate just a few examples from the gospels today in hopes that you and I can learn from their mistakes. In addition to learning "what not to do" from the disciples- I want to encourage those of you who may be in need of a miracle today. Don't be surprised if everyone does not share your zeal or enthusiasm for a breakthrough. And by all means, don't allow the hardened hearts of callous disciples to keep you from touching the hem of the Master's garment. Christ is still in the miracle business Hallelujah!

First let's look at the example of the woman commonly known as the "Syrophenician woman."

Matthew 15:22 And, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou Son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil. 15:23 But he answered her not a word. And his disciples came and besought him, saying, Send her away; for she crieth after us.

This woman had several strikes against her. First of all, her nationality excluded her from the earthly ministry of Jesus. The gospels record that He was sent first and foremost to the lost sheep of the tribes of Israel. She also had an obstacle in the hearts of hardened disciples. Instead of perhaps trying to persuade Jesus to meet the demands of the woman, they callously cry "send her away...for she crieth after us" (I could be missing something, but I see her worshipping Jesus and saying "O Lord thou Son of David"- I don't see her crying after Peter, James, or John). The selfishness of the disciples could easily have dissuaded a woman with less tenacity. But she would not be denied! She continued to worship Jesus Christ and persist in faith with her petition on her daughter's behalf. The end result was that she did receive her miracle and her daughter was completely delivered. Although the disciples were annoyed and found her an unwanted distraction, she did not allow them to stand between her and her miracle.

Next, we see hardened hearts towards the little ones

Matthew 19:13 Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

Jesus loved (and still loves) children. Although society placed little emphasis on the importance of children (sometimes we err on the other side and allow our children to dictate all decisions in the home...but I digress), Jesus realized the importance of a child. I really can't imagine why the disciples would have had a problem with Jesus praying for and blessing the children, but again we see their arrogance. I know many today who devalue children's ministry. I encounter people all the time who want to serve in church, but have no desire to work with children. The most common response I get when I ask people what area of service they would like to work in the church is "anything but children's church or nursery worker." While I understand that not everyone is gifted in this area and some just do not relate well to children, there is often an underlying element of "I'm too good to do that- my ministry is too intelligent for children- I need adults to listen to what I have to say." It is my opinion (and only my opinion so feel free to disagree) that anyone who is "too good" to minister to children is also "too good" for me as a pastor to allow them to teach adults. Statistics have proven that once a person reaches adulthood (some stats say around age 30), the likelihood of their conversion goes way down. This is not to say that a person cannot be saved later in life (or even on a deathbed- I've seen it many times), but only that the law of averages is against them. This is a sobering statistic and reinforces the fact that children should be introduced to the message of Jesus Christ as soon as they are able to hear it! The disciples may have thought that the children were unworthy of the Master's touch- but Jesus proved them dead wrong!

Matthew 26:7 There came unto him a woman having an alabaster box of very precious ointment, and poured it on his head, as he sat at meat. 26:8 But when his disciples saw it, they had indignation, saying, To what purpose is this waste? 26:9 For this ointment might have been sold for much, and given to the poor

This particular story illustrates one of the most beautiful pictures of worship in the New Testament. This woman took something very costly and poured it out as an act of worship. Jesus was obviously deeply moved by her act and stated that this would be forever memorialized in the gospel (we're still talking about it today aren't we?). That which touched the heart of God consequently angered the hearts of the disciples. They saw the act as meaningless and wasteful. They even had the nerve to wrap their hardness of heart in a cloak of piety. Still today, we often find religious excuses as to why we are calloused inside. Many times we are offended or embarrassed by the sincere and pure worship of others. I often wonder if our offence is not because secretly we wish we had the purity of heart to worship unashamedly like this woman did. I doubt that she had in mind that her act of worship would be forever recorded in the Holy Scriptures (I could be wrong). Your act of worship may serve to greatly further the Kingdom of God so don't be intimidated by those who might be offended by your sacrifice of praise (whatever it may be).

Mark 10:46 And they came to Jericho: and as he went out of Jericho with his disciples and a great number of people, blind Bartimaeus, the son of Timaeus, sat by the highway side begging. 10:47And when he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to cry out, and say, Jesus, thou Son of David, have mercy on me. 10:48 And many charged him that he should hold his peace: but he cried the more a great deal, Thou Son of David, have mercy on me

Finally we're going to look at Bartimaeus. Now I realize that it doesn't explicitly state that the disciples told him to hold his peace, but they were present and I don't see any act of benevolence on their part to intervene on his behalf. Judging from previous accounts of their indifference to the needs of the oppressed, it wouldn't surprise me if indeed they were the ones who told him to be quiet. At the very least...they are guilty by association...they are there and not doing anything to help Bartimaeus get to Jesus. His physical handicap no doubt contributed to his poverty and thus we find him "by the highway side begging." I'm sure to the religous elite, he would be a blot and blemish on what would otherwise be a successful tour of evangelism. I'm often amazed that the the place which should most characterize the love and grace of God....the Church...is the place that often shows the least amount of compassion to the hurting. Jesus said He came to "seek and save that which was lost." I like to think of the church in terms of being a hospital for the hurting. I believe I have scripture to support this theory of mine.

Matthew 9:12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick.

I mentioned earlier that I admired the tenacity of the Syrophenician woman. I also admire Bartimaeus (I don't like to call him "blind Bartimaeus" because Jesus healed him!) because when the crowd told him to hush....he got louder! When you get really desperate for a miracle, you won't care what people think about you. It's amazing how your inhibitions will fade away when you get in a real crisis and need Jesus to help you. The opinions and resistance of man (even church people) will matter little to you. I don't know about you, but I can't afford to let my pride stand between me and Jesus Christ. Bartimaeus kept worshipping God and humbled himself before Jesus and he got his miracle!!!

I realize that these events took place nearly 2000 years ago and before the resurrection of our Lord. But human nature has not changed. There are still many who sit on church pews who have hardened hearts. There are still many in need of a miracle from Jesus Christ (the greatest miracle of all is the salvation of the spirit!). And Jesus is still answering the prayers of people who are willing to worship and humble themselves before Him even when disciples stand in the way!

God bless you today and be encouraged is my prayer!

2 comments:

Libby said...

Our clerk is also our children's church worker. I told her last week how much I appreciate what she does. She has 2 of the most difficult, yet most important jobs in the church. My husband added and most thankless. Not many people see what she does and I know she doesn't do it for any glory, but God sees it. He is the most important one to please anyway! I know the jist of the article was about receiving a miracle, but I got hung up on the ministry that takes place (or doesn't) in the church. Too many are sitting on the pews saying feed me when they should be mature enough to be feeding others by now. The pastor is to lead the food not disciple and feed everyone by his own hand. He needs hands extended from his own to be effective. Why do people think Jesus selected and trained the disciples?

Henry Haney said...

You're absolutely right. God created everything to give- The trees give off oxygen, the stars and moon give off light, the sun gives off heat- everything in creation gives...except people. (well I guess technically we give off carbon dioxide but I'm not about to wax eloquent about science when there is a science teacher reading over my shoulder...I don't want to reveal my ignorance-LOL)

Church folks like the ministry of receiving more than giving as a rule of thumb. I wish more would adopt the motto of "ask not what your church can do for you...rather ask what you can do for your church"

I know...wishful thinking...but a guy can dream can't he? :)