Thursday, February 09, 2006


Pulpit Blunders

If today, you are expecting a deep and thought-provoking post from me....you will be sorely disappointed. I believe that God created us with the capacity for laughter for a reason. We are made in His image and I don't believe it's a sin to laugh and have some good clean fun every once in a while. Today I want to share a humorous pulpit blunder with you I recently witnessed firsthand. Thankfully, it wasn't me this time, but one of my friends who committed the faux pas. As he was waxing eloquent about the life of King David, and God's gracious acts of mercy towards the king, the blooper came forth. As his message was reaching a crescendo, he boldly proclaimed..."and we all know that David was a god after Man's own heart."

We've all done it at times, but man you've just gotta hate it when it happens to you. I suppose this particular faux pas gives totally new meaning to the term "Davidic Worship"-LOL

Be blessed today- and if this offends you- please lighten up-it's only a joke! (albeit a true one :) )

-henry

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

OK trying this again.. wondered if you had seen this blooper:

http://www.mmiblog.com/monday_morning_
insight_we/2005/09/a_pastors_bigge
.html

(sorry I couldn't fit it all into one line)

but he means to say is 'pitching tenst" but with his accent and how he's speaking it comes out VERY different

I hope you can link.. I don't know how to get the html tag to work in here

Libby said...

That's great! My brother-in-law was asked to speak at a community sunrise service one year. Out on a hillside in front of members of numerous churches with varied backgrounds he began to recount the event which was being remembered that morning. Very eloquently he began, "We are gathered here today to remember Jesus' erection..."

I don't remember how he gracefully brought it back, but I would have gotten back in my car and driven off I think! Calling the AB the next morning for a move:)

Neil said...

I was preaching in Delaware a few years ago, ranting and raving about worship. Decided I would remind those that didn't believe in emotional worship that there will only be thirty minutes of silence in heaven...So, I said, "If you don't believe in shouting...go to hell!" At which point I knew I was in deep trouble, and began to try to fix it..."Go to the other place then!" Finally in exasperation I said..."Oh, you know what I mean!" And kept right on going. There were only nine or ten people there, two of them were my good friends visiting, who at that point were red faced and almost in the floor. This year I will celebrate my 27th year of ministry, you know what I've learned? Keep on going and act like you don't know what you just said!

Libby said...

Actually, I think that is exactly how J.T. (B-I-L) handled it.