Wednesday, March 15, 2006

How Good It Must Have Felt

Philippians 4:3 And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life

I think there are many out there who struggle with assurance issues where their salvation is concerned. I find it is especially difficult for those who have come out of very rigid, traditional, legalistic upbringings. For those in the aforementioned category, it is often hard to grasp the concept of grace apart from human effort. The main goal of "religion" is to work hard enough to somehow be accepted by God. The criteria is forever changing, and so no one really knows exactly how many good deeds are necessary and what will be enough to help us cross the threshold. The Bible however, is a book about assurance. Paul obviously had no hangups about the assurance of his salvation. He told the Philippians (earlier in this same letter) that he was ready to die/depart and be with Christ. This is not a statement often heard from one who struggles with where he/she will spend eternity.

Sometimes admittedly, I have found myself in similar struggles. Despite what the Word clearly teaches, the enemy tries his best to make you "feel like you're not really saved" (as if salvation were a feeling anyway- we walk by faith ....not by sight!). I often think about that glorious book referred to in Scripture as "the book of life". I imagine my name being written there and how much I look forward to being "in that number." How good must it have felt for these individuals @ Phillipi to hear and read that their names were indeed written in the Lamb's book of life!

Is your name in God's book? If you're not sure, you can make sure it is today! Don't wait another minute-call upon the Lord today and ask Him to cleanse your heart and forgive you of every sin- He will do it!

God bless ,
Henry

1 comment:

Libby said...

The "feeling saved" thing has been a big one in my life. I have been in church all of my life. I was saved at the age of 5 and filled with the Holy Ghost at 8, but there have been many times when preachers would say, "How many of you out there KNOW you're saved?" I would be timid about raising my hand because I had questions. Am I STILL saved? I flew off the handle at that guy the other day! or whatever the infraction may have been. I think many have actually backslidden because we have failed to teach what Jesus' blood REALLY does for us. It took me a LONG time to understand that there is a difference between COMMITTING a sin and LIVING A LIFE of sin.