Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Why are you laughing?

Genesis 18:12 Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I have become old, shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?" 13 And the LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh, saying, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, when I am so old? 14"Is anything too difficult for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you, at this time next year, and Sarah will have a son." 15 Sarah denied it however, saying, "I did not laugh"; for she was afraid. And He said, "No, but you did laugh." (NASB)

I think we can all relate (at least to some degree) to the story of Sarah and Abraham. Most of us have some issues in our prayer life that have yet to come to fulfillment. They may not be as extreme as a hundred year old man fathering a child, but they are issues that require faith and perserverance nonetheless. This incident in Genesis takes place after over 24 years have passed and the promise has yet to come to fruition. Abraham was 75 years old when the Lord first spoke to him (Gen 12:4). At age 86, Hagar bore him Ishmael (Gen 16:16). At age 99 we pick up at this story.

We look at this story and we find it humorous. But, how many of us have waited for so long for God's promises that now even the thought of our prayer ever being answered seems like a joke? If the Lord were to come to you today and tell you that you were on the brink of receiving the answer to the long-awaited promise what would you do? Honestly, you and I might be tempted to laugh....or even worse to scoff! (God forbid)

Sarah was embarrassed (not to mention scared to death) that the Lord heard her laughing (laughing to herself I might add). God knows that we get discouraged and sometimes we lose heart, but He is still asking the question "Is anything too difficult for the Lord?" The answer of course, is an emphatic "NO"

Dear Brother/Sister in the Lord- don't lose heart today. What God has promised you He is more than able to perform. A day with the Lord is as a thousand years. You may have waited for days, weeks, or even 25 years but God has not forgotten His promise to you. We have assurance that in "due season" we will reap...if we faint not! Don't give up- you might be on the verge of your breakthrough.

~Henry

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Good word for today Henry. It ministered to me today in a much needed way. Keep up the good work!

By the way, saw a new book out that I am going to order and thought you might be interested. It is called, "Finding the Favor of God" by Ronnie Floyd.

Henry Haney said...

Thanks Pastor! I'm glad the Word ministered to you this a.m.!

I'll have to check out your recommendation too- There's nothing quite like the favor of God is there? Praise God!!