Thursday, October 13, 2005

Consider What I Say

2 Tim 2: 4 No one engaged in warfare entangles himself with the affairs of this life, that he may please him who enlisted him as a soldier. 5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules. 6 The hard-working farmer must be first to partake of the crops.7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things. (NKJ)

This passage comes from what we commonly refer to as one of the "pastoral epistles" (I Tim, II Tim, & Titus). With that in mind, my target audience for this particular devotion are my brethren in ministry. This is NOT to say that this passage doesn't have universal application (and I hope for all the laymen reading this that you will glean from it as well)-however I want to encourage and exhort my fellow ministers. This book was written at a rather dark time in Paul's life. Not long before he would find his way to Nero's chopping block. This context makes what Paul says to young Timothy all the more powerful. How often do we face discouragement, weariness, and emotional distress, all the while soaking in our own mire of suffering? Paul could have easily found the time to feel sorry for himself (after all, you can't get much more pitiful than penning the words "all men forsook me" {II Tim 4:16} ). Nevertheless, he spent this precious time to pour into his young protege'.

He gives him 3 analogies to consider. First off, he reminds Timothy that a soldier cannot be bogged down with civilian affairs. Although we live in this world, our calling is a Divine mandate. Our business and citizenship is from above....our empowerment from the very Spirit of God! Let us never allow the affairs of this life (whether they be the everyday rituals of church business, or the anxieties and cares of this world) to interfere with the most important things in life. Sometimes we get so caught up in our "struggles" that we forget the words of Paul which state "for our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory" (II Cor 4:17) (KJV)

The next allegory deals with an athlete striving for a crown-he will not win the prize unless he plays by the rules. There are no shortcuts to successful ministry , despite our religious impatience. Some may place personal ambition above integrity, but God is much more interested in our character than in our accomplishments. Paul said this to the Corinthian church:

1 Cor 9:27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (NIV)

Finally, Paul uses the analogy of a farmer. Ministry is hard work.....period! Some mistakenly enter the ministry because they feel it would be easier than manual labor. Such men are merely hirelings-they are not truly called of God. Many are frustrated with the lack of results and fruit, but refuse to own up to their own laziness- the bible says that whatever we do for the Lord, we should "work at it with all your heart" (Col 3:23). God is not mocked- whatsoever a man sows, that shall he also reap! And we must not be weary in well-doing (I know a lot of burned-out and tired ministers and my heart goes out to them) for in due season we shall reap.....IF we faint not! To carry the lesson of the farmer one step further in closing- we must understand that ultimately the results are up to God.

1 Cor 3:6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. (NIV)

To all my ministerial colleagues (regardless of denominational affiliation)- I love you and appreciate you. I hope that you are encouraged as you read this. I hope that you will indeed take Paul's instructions and meditate upon these great truths. Hang in there Brethren- the world (and the church) desparately needs you in this hour-now more than ever.

2 Tim 2:7 Consider what I say, and may the Lord give you understanding in all things.(NKJ)

Much love in Him,

† Henry

2 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

Henry, thank you for taking the time to post this. It has blessed me. It's always good to get a reality check. God bless.

Henry Haney said...

Thanks MP- it seems like these things are so easy to embrace and we know them so well, but they're so difficult to put into practice. I guess that's why the promises are made to "overcomers" eh? :)

God bless you MP- do you mind if I ask you a question- are you currently pastoring a church? If you would prefer to e-mail me you can. Go to my website Truth Ablaze and you will find a link to e-mail me there.

-Henry