Friday, October 14, 2005

Honeycombs and Bitter things

Proverbs 27:7 A satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb, But to a hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet. (NKJV)

I just finished eating lunch at one my favorite fast-food spots (yes, I know fast food is bad for you...but I'm cutting back....I promise!). As I sat down to my meal and blessed the food, I pondered upon this verse from the Proverbs. As I often do in public places, I found myself looking around at different people and wondering where they stand as far as eternity is concerned. It seems like everyone is going at a break-neck pace, rushing around, talking on cellphones, and in a hurry to go nowhere (of course I was eating rather quickly too so I could make it back to work before my lunch hour expired- so I hope that doesn't make me a hypocrite).

I remembered the years before I was saved. It seemed like there was always something out there that glittered brightly- always some promise of fulfillment from the next big "thing." Then sadly, dissapointment would settle in as I accomplished the goal or acquired the toy- only to find out that it really only brought temporary pleasure. Jesus said that "man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God." How right He is! Even Christians find themselves with insatiable appetites. I always know that I'm in trouble when I become obsessive about material things or personal ambitions. The satisfied soul can say (with Paul) "I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content" (Phillipians 4:11).

But to the hungry soul.....every bitter thing is sweet. Isn't it amazing how the devil can make even the filthiest things seem appealing when our soul is starved from the presence of God? I'm convinced that many men (and women) find themselves in places of compromise-not because they are vile and wicked people-but because they have failed to keep their souls fed with the manna from heaven. As the old hymn beautifully illustrates...when we "turn our eyes upon Jesus" the things of this world will grow "strangely dim." I ask you today- Are you full spiritually? Are you allowing Christ to fill your vessel with the oil of gladness and wells of living water? Or do you find yourself looking at every bitter thing as a potential delight.

Some things to muse on today.
~Henry

2 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

Henry, your blog inspired me today. Sparked my posting for the day!

Henry Haney said...

Thanks Guys,

Mem03-I don't know if you are familiar with Wingate,NC- but we are about 20 miles east of Charlotte.

Give me a call some time or drop me an e-mail and I would be glad to chat freely with you.