Monday, October 03, 2005

Lessons From Bethesda

John 5:6 When Jesus saw him lie, and knew that he had been now a long time in that case, he saith unto him, Wilt thou be made whole? (KJV)

As I studied for my sermon this past Sunday morning, I made a few observations from which (I believe) we can all glean some practical truth. First of all, we see that this group of afflicted individuals (the KJV called them "impotent folk") had enough sense to gather around a place where the miraculous frequently happened. I am always amazed at the level of spirituality the world is willing to display-meanwhile we sit in church and deny (or ignore) the possibility of God's power flowing among (and even through) us. The world will read horror-scopes, use tarot cards, carry good luck charms , and the like. They do this because they believe in an unseen "force" greater than themselves which guides the universe. Christianity is by nature, a religion of great power (no other religion can boast of resurrection power) and yet we seem either ashamed or ignorant of this truth. Thank God the folks at Bethesda knew where to go to get their needs met. Pastors and laypersons let me ask you a question....is your church a spiritual "Bethesda"? A place where the hurting can come and find healing?

Next, I observed that although there were a "great multitude" of impotent folk laying around Bethesda....Jesus took note of one man (not unlike the Samaritan woman at the well). I believe we must never underestimate the power of one. We often think of meeting the needs of the multitudes but we minimize the importance of meeting the need(s) of an individual. Consider the contribution of Ananias (no not the bad guy Ananias-husband of Saphira but another one) in the book of Acts. Jesus appeared to him and told him to go minister to one person....the apostle Paul. I don't know much else of Ananias' ministry or how many multitudes he may or may not have preached to, but I think it would be hard to top the experience of laying hands on the great Apostle to the Gentiles!

Next, I observe what seems to be an absurd question...."wilt thou be made whole?" What do you mean by that Lord? "I've been waiting on my healing for 38 years" (I'm trying to fill in some of the blanks here). It almost seems like Jesus is telling us that we've been too comfortable with our dysfunctions! There is a certain peace that comes with the familiar. Some of us have been dysfunctional so long, we can't imagine what life would be like as a "whole" person. I've heard that many people who have been institutionalized for many years (such as those incarcerated in prison) ...if they ever are released....will do something that will put them right back into prison (or the hospital)...because there is a certain safety with "the familiar." Some things God has been dealing with us for years to get rid of, but we keep holding on and we wonder why things aren't getting any better...it's time to wake-up!


Next, I notice the excuses provided by the man...."I have no man....to put me in the pool"...."another steps down before me." Doesn't this sound like us? We are forever making excuses as to why we never get deliverance (in saying this, I'm not promoting a health & wealth gospel that proports that no Christian will ever be sick..I'm speaking primarily from a spiritual context). Why is it we often feel we need a mediator to get us into the presence of God ("I have no man...") ? And why does it seem like someone else always gets the breakthrough before us? ("another steps down before me..") Go back and read the story of Jairus' daughter again and take special note that the woman with the "issue of blood" gets her breakthrough and the child dies while Jesus is on His way to heal her.

Christ didn't even discuss the man's perceived limitations- He merely told him to do what (must have) seemed like the impossible..."rise, take up thy bed and walk". I wonder how many times we say that we're "waiting on God"....and the truth is that He is waiting for us to take a step of faith? (probably more than we would like to admit).

Of course the man carries the thing that used to carry him (the bed) and the religious order of the day are upset. We should always expect that those who are "of the flesh" will persecute those after the Spirit. Finally, Jesus searches out the man and says these famous words "sin no more lest a worse thing come unto thee." That sounds like a good title for another sermon doesn't it? How many people do you know who are playing a dangerous game of roulette with their souls?

These are my thoughts today-may the Lord bless you as you meditate upon His Word!
~Henry

3 comments:

Joshua Sargent said...

Good post. Just found your blog. keep it up.

Henry Haney said...

Thanks for the encouragement Joshua- I guess there are a thousand "budding" bloggers out there who start out and lose interest- Lord willing I'll try to keep this site updated and not a cyber-ghost-town!

Pastor Jeff said...

Thanks for tyoing this out, Pastor. You have challenged me, and I need that in these early years of my ministry. God Bless!