Thursday, August 17, 2006

We need not to speak any thing!


I Thessalonians 1:8 For from you sounded out the word of the Lord not only in Macedonia and Achaia, but also in every place your faith to God-ward is spread abroad; so that we need not to speak any thing. 9 For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God;

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of preaching. In fact, the scripture plainly states that God has chosen "the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe" (I Cor 1:21). But there is something to be said about lifestyle evangelism as a complement to good, sound, biblical preaching. In fact, Jesus said that we should let our "light so shine before men, that they may see" our good works and glorify the Heavenly Father (Matt 5:16). All too often, people aren't willing to hear about what we're preaching, because what we're doing speaks so much louder in their ears.

Paul commends the Christians in Thessalonica because their testimony was solid. He says that the word of the Lord "sounded out" from them throughout the region. Was it because all of them were fiery preachers pounding on pulpits? (Perhaps....we really couldn't speak particularly of their preaching efforts from this passage) In this instance, it was the radical change in lifestyle that caused God's Word to spread rapidly throughout the land. People were amazed and took notice because the Thessalonians "turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God." We can talk all day long, but it's hard to argue with a transformed life. That's why I personally believe that one of the most effective ways to witness to unbelievers is to share how God has transformed my life. But that method only has force if there is some visible, tangible change in my life.

Paul told the Corinthians that those in Christ are a new creation and "old things have passed away." People are much more willing to follow and imitate that which they have seen. If you really want to see revival in your area, make sure that those around you can see the difference that Christ has made in your life. When people can see the difference in you, then they will be much more apt to hear what you have to say. Or perhaps, like the Thessalonians....there won't be a need to speak any thing!

Until next time....

4 comments:

Darrell said...

Good word today Henry.
It so happens that this very week I had something very unusual happen. I had a man call me to complain about the way that some of my members were acting in a restraunt last Sunday.
I will go on record as saying that this guy was probably being a little over the top with his complaints, and also that I don't have a clue what he expects me as pastor to do with members who "acted up" in a public place. Still, there is some truth to the general point this man was making. He talked about how these people had just come from the church and then were putting down and insulting someone in a public place. He said that their actions negated anything their mouths said about Christ and the church.
Again, I'm not saying he was completely right about this particular situation, but he is right that our actions scream out to the world around us much more than our words do.

Anonymous said...

Good word... and in response to a comment.. happy belated anniversary to you guys as well.. it was a good day to be married on wasn't it? ROFL

Neil said...

Good Word Pastor!

I love this portion of scripture and quote it often. I think it's not so much what we say with our lips but what we say with our lives.

Our walk is our best sermon!

Thanks for the reminder!

Barbara said...

Great word! I know I'm not God's perfect child (who is), but I watch some people out in the world that profess Christ, and I know they don't realize they are hurting their own testimony.

I have to tell you about this young Christian girl on this soccer team that my granddaughter plays on. She doesn't mind telling the girls how it is! This one young girl was running her mouth, saying things that were just ugly - and this young Christian girl just blurted out, "I've told her, if she doesn't change, she's going straight to hell." I thought, goodness, this young 16 yr old (she's now 17 and a SR) loves those girlfriends enough to let them know their actions and words are speaking volumes about their lives.