Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Do you study the Bible?

II Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (KJV)

This blog is very much a work-in-progress, even though I've been trying my hand at it for the better part of a year now. I'm not making any promises (some may say I have commitment issues, I simply say I'm too busy....) but I would like to make more of an effort to keep this blog a bit more updated. In doing so, I'm going to attempt to cut down on the length (hopefully not the substance) of my posts. I suppose this sounds trite and cliche' but, in all honesty, I really hope that in some small way I can encourage, edify, and exhort (I love alliteration-can you tell?) you to a deeper walk with God as you read over my shoulder and read me thinking out loud.

With that in mind, I ask you (and myself) the question today- do you study the bible? No, I'm not talking about devotional reading, which is definitely important. I'm talking about a systematic study of the bible. I'm a pastor, so as a member of the "clergy" this is expected of me by my peers and congregation. But I believe it is also God's desire for every believer in Christ. Granted, not everyone is going to be fluent in Koine Greek, but there are ample enough (and free I might add) resources available to every Christian to help them in their study of the Word. The Bible is not some random collection of 66 books. It is a Divinely inspired (God-breathed) Word, orchestrated by the most Wise and awesome Creator of the universe. God is not a God of confusion or disorder (I Cor 14:33) and I think we owe it to Him (and ourselves) to approach His Word with at least as much attention to detail as we would give our secular pursuits, hobbies, and interests.

No comments: