Monday, August 21, 2006

Can I Get A Witness?

I Thessalonians 2:10 Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe: (KJV)

If you've been following my recent blogs, you know that we've been looking at the first epistle of Paul to the Thessalonians. I have been spending considerable time reading, studying, and meditating on this particular letter. I encourage each of you to do this very same thing. The epistle is relatively short and very easy to read in one sitting. As you begin to read over and over again, certain themes will become evident. One of my main observations about this book, is that it deals largely with character- both of the recipients of the letter, and of those who carried the gospel to them.

In my last entry, I talked about the dramatic conversion and lifestyle change (i.e. that important little word "repentance" that seems to be absent from many pulpits today) of the believers there. They turned from idols to serve the Living and True God. In today's verse we see that Paul makes an appeal to them based on the conduct of him and his fellow-laborers. It's one thing to call for a human testimony, but quite another to call for Divine validation of his ministry and lifestyle.

This is not a condemnatory post at all today, but I would like for you (and me) to consider Paul's appeal. Could we honestly call God to the "witness stand" as a character witness on our behalf? Paul confidently asserted that he behaved himself in a manner of holiness and righteousness. He even says that they were "unblameable"-no one could level any charge against them. We often lament at the lack of conversions in our own ministry and personal witnessing efforts. Granted, we are merely seed-throwers and water-boys in the grand scheme of things- the results are clearly up to God (I Cor 3:6). But I wonder how much more convincing our appeals would be if we lived the kinds of lives that Paul and his partners lived. One thing is sure, God will one Day make manifest the hidden motivations of the heart.

In previous verses in this chapter (2:5) Paul makes it clear that his preaching was not motivated by greed or covetousness. I could spend all day on that point, but I'm going to leave off for now.

Until next time....

1 comment:

Pastor Jeff said...

Sobering thought indeed. God help me to be an unblameable witness for the Lord.