Monday, April 10, 2006

Observations about the Parable of the Soils Part 1

Mark 4:13 And He said to them, "Do you not understand this parable? How will you understand all the parables? (NASB)

There is something peculiar and particularly unique about the parable of the soils, recorded in the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke). In the coming days, I would like to discuss this particular parable in greater detail. Today, I'm just going to make some preliminary remarks and hopefully you will add yours as well. Perhaps Jesus was just speaking in hyperbole, but I'm inclined to believe that there is something special about the parable of the soils...hence Jesus' remark above "how will you understand all the parables?". I've been teaching a class on soulwinning (evangelism) at our church on Wednesday nights. We made our way into the parable of the sower/soils this past week and will probably stay there a while.

I believe that if we grasp the meaning of the parable, we will gain a greater understanding of the operation of God's Kingdom in the earth. I believe it answers the questions about why people behave in the manner that they do. I believe that some of the endless frustration we suffer at the hands of unresponsive or negative people can come to an end....or at least be greatly curtailed.

More to come...your comments are welcome :)

Maranatha!
-Henry

1 comment:

Pastor Jeff said...

I did an in-depth study of this before. I took Jesus' statement in the 13th verse, and began comparing parable in my ignorance. I learned a great deal that the parables have in common, for instance, they all seem to start out with something small and insignificant, like a mustard seed, and some unseen change occurs. The seed in the darkness of underground begins to sprout, the yeast that is placed in the dough works itself through in the dark of the jar, the net is cast into the sea, and in the unseen it is filled. Now, there is some good teaching in that, I believe, but, it didn't hit me till much later, what Jesus meant when he said what he did in verse 13.

I believe the key to understanding the principle of God's kingdom is what kind of soil we are. When we have good soil, we are able to see the seed of God's word grow, flourish and bear fruit in our lives.

Good topic, Henry! Keep it coming.