Sunday, May 03, 2009

When My Spirit Was Overwhelmed Within Me

Psa 142:1 (Maschil of David; A Prayer when he was in the cave). I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication. Psa 142:2 I poured out my complaint before him; I showed before him my trouble.
Psa 142:3 When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me. Psa 142:4 I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me; no man cared for my soul. Psa 142:5 I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
Psa 142:6 Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low: deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I. Psa 142:7 Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about; for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.

I love the brutal honesty of the Psalms. Yes, the Psalms are quoted many times in the New Testament. Yes, they contain Messianic prophecies. Yes, they contain beautiful hymns of praise and anthems of thanksgiving. But I also appreciate the candor of the Psalms. We get to read along as the writer pours out his complaint to his Creator. We get to peer over his shoulder as he tries to make sense of life's deepest trials and probing questions. The Psalms remind us that walking with God is not always a stroll through a stained-glass cathedral. Sometimes life gets messy!

I really don't know why it is- but it seems the cliche' is true "when it rains, it pours". Our spirits are also overwhelmed at times because of all the curve balls life seems to throw our way. It is at this point that we decide if we will be refined, or descend into bitterness. The latter is always easier, but the first is always better (I resisted the temptation to say "you can get bitter or better".....or did I really?). This process of refinement begins by acknowledging that God knows our path (vs. 3). This is crucial because at this point of being overwhelmed, true friends can often be in short supply (vs.4). But because God knows exactly where we are, and cares for us so intimately- we can come to Him with great confidence.

We too, must "pour out our complaints" before God and cry out to Him for deliverance. Pride will only hinder the process (vs. 6). It's ok to admit that you can't handle it all by yourself. God has promised to resist the proud, but He has also promised to give grace to the humble (James 4:6). From my own perspective, it is often humbling to admit I have difficulties coping with the challenges of life. It is much easier to project a facade which gives the impression that I am always in total control. Truthfully, there are times when my heart is overwhelmed within me. There are times when there are no simple answers, and when the choice(s) set before you can be filled with uncertainty.

Our relationship with God is not static, it is dynamic. Subsequently, life is all about change. Some good; some bad. To avoid becoming a casualty in this great spiritual conflict we call life, we must lean wholly on God and trust His integrity. If your heart is overwhelmed right now, I know there is someone who would like to hear from you. And He's only a prayer away!

Until next time.....

No comments: