Friday, May 08, 2009

Taking the Dog By the Ears

Prov 26:17 He who passes by and meddles in a quarrel not his own is like one who takes a dog by the ears. (NKJ)

I thought since it was Friday, I would take a break from the normal way of doing things and post something a little more lighthearted. Here are my two dogs (Toby on the left, Callie on the right) waking up from an afternoon nap. I have always been a dog lover. The first years of my marriage were the only times that I didn't own a dog. Our place of residence was not exactly conducive to owning a pet. Not long after we moved to our current location (a more rural area), we adopted a few pups. The kids absolutely love them, and they love the kids.

My Jack Russell Terrier mix (Toby) was the first one to be adopted. The kids instantly fell in love with him because he was small, cute, and extremely playful. But I quickly warned them that even though he was a small dog, they needed to handle him gently. You don't have to be an expert in animal behaviors to know that dogs typically don't like to be pulled by the ears. If you do, you're just asking for trouble! Today's verse from the bible paints a word picture for all who would attempt to meddle in other people's affairs. Sometimes people will invite you into their lives and allow you into their stories- this is not what I'm talking about today.

To become a busybody in other people's matters and plunge into their affairs uninvited, is to invite trouble. And pulling the ears of a dog is ill-advised too! Give him a treat instead!

No comments: