Monday, March 10, 2008

A Proverb a day?

I know, it's way too ambitious a goal for me, and probably neither practical nor prudent (I'm using alliteration a lot today!), but the thought has occurred to me that perhaps we should study a Proverb every day....or at least a small portion of it. How many sermons have I heard that outline the fact that there are almost as many Proverbs as there are days in each month? Well, I'm not making any promises, but for my own personal devotions I think I'm going to look at the book of Proverbs and the corresponding days & chapters. Since today (or what's left of it) is March 10th, let's look at a portion from Proverbs 10.

Prov 10:19 In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise.(KJV)

Now that's a mouthful isn't it? (pun intended) I'm not sure who coined this phrase (I think it was Abraham Lincoln), but there is one that goes something like this: "better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt". Perhaps Abraham (or the true author of the quote) borrowed his wisdom from the Proverbs. Whenever there are a multitude of words, sin never seems to be far behind. Rare is the church that doesn't have to decry the sin of gossip on a regular basis.

Ever notice that in any given courtroom situation, that the more a person says on the witness stand, the more they seem to incriminate themselves? Precisely the reason that law enforcement uses the phrase "you have the right to remain silent". The bible says that we will be much better off if we exercise that God-given right of silence. True, there will be some willing to part company with you, but that's ok.....where there is no talebearer...the strife ceases!!!

-HMH

No comments: