Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Better to be a nobody

Prov 12:99 He that is despised, and hath a servant, is better than he that honoureth himself, and lacketh bread.(KJV)

We live in a society that values those who "have the most toys" and those who are popular. Countless television programs and publications are devoted to following every minute detail of the lives of celebrities. The Christian community is not much different, as we have our own celebrities and much-imitated personalities. Certainly godly influence is virtuous, and even the apostle Paul declared "follow me as I follow Christ". But I don't think Paul envisioned having "groupies" who parroted his words and tried to emulate his mannerisms, style of dress, and so on. It always makes me a little sad when I see that a really good Bible teacher or talented musician begins to receive mainstream acceptance. It's not that I don't want them to prosper, or that I want the message of the Gospel to be stifled in any way- it's just that notoriety has a way of ruining even the best of intentions.

Today's Proverb says that it's better to be a "nobody" with a servant than some big-name who lacks sufficient bread. I wonder how many people are envied with a passion, and yet they would do anything to trade places with a "nobody"? Probably more than you might think. The celebrity who has spent a great portion of his life trying to "make it big" then spends the rest of his time trying "to live a normal life" once he achieves it. The tabloids refuse him any privacy or sense of normalcy in his life. And often the perceived wealth that people have is really not wealth at all.

I'm reminded of a recent television commercial which depicted a man riding on his lawn mower in front of a lavish-looking home in a prominent community. Smiling as he rode along his 2 acres on his John Deere, he proclaimed "I'm in debt up to my eyeballs." It humorously (but honestly) portrayed the "American Dream". There is nothing wrong with success in business, and even the bible states that God will prosper those who labor and are generous. But let's not fall into the trap of wanting to be a "somebody" by worldly standards. Remember Jesus made Himself of "no reputation" when He was on the earth. I can't think of a better model to follow!

Until next time....

No comments: