Monday, November 06, 2006

Mechanics of Bible Study (Part One)

Again, I apologize that I seem to have such a difficult time updating my blog. I would promise to do better, but I seem to be really bad at good intentions too. Oh well, enough about me, let's continue talking about bible study. I wanted to first give you the spiritual dynamics (certainly not all of them, but a few) of bible study. Some things are rather straightforward, while others may not be so obvious to everyone. Having said that, let's look at some of the nuts & bolts of bible study today. Because I'm currently preaching a series at our church on I John, I thought I would use that epistle as an example. Let me share a few ways that I would approach my study of this book, and the first chapter in particular.

First, I would say to do what almost every "expert" (I'm not including myself in the expert class, just in case you were wondering) does when approaching a passage of Scripture. Read it, read it some more, read it again, read...well you get the picture. I know some of my friends reading this are probably of the KJV-only persuasion, but even if you do hold to this position, I encourage you to read a passage of scripture in numerous different translations, just to get a feel for the text. Sometimes the archaic language of the KJV makes it difficult to grasp the meaning of a particular word or phrase. I don't wish to engage in any type of bible translation debates, so please no hateful e-mails or comments (experience tells me I have to include such disclaimers...sorry).

Epistles in particular should be read all the way through in one sitting. This is the way we treat secular literature (especially letters or e-mails sent to us). We don't go "lucky dipping" in the middle of the letter to try to get the sense or tenor of the letter or e-mail. We read the greeting(s), introductory remarks, body of the letter, and the conclusion (or benediction). Reading an entire epistle helps us to discern the tone of the letter. Is it warm and familial? (John frequently uses the term "my little children" as an address in this epistle) Or is it more serious and corrective (as in Galatians where Paul gets right to the issue of false teaching/gospels)? Many commentaries are available which give the "occasion" of the letter, but I would suggest before you ever consult a commentary (as a matter of fact, I recommend that this is the LAST thing you do-and I will discuss this more indepth later) that you read and pray over the text yourself. In doing so, you will probably have a good sense of the occasion of the letter. Pay special attention to the recipients of the letter, personal pronouns and other descriptive titles.

Now in the example of I John, this letter begins with a strong similarity to the Gospel of John. Most conservative theologians agree that the Gospel of John, I, II, and III John, and Revelation have the same author (there are those who disagree, but I will not deal with that here for sake of time). Operating under that premise, it would be wise to be familiar with the other writings by this author. You will find that there are many similar themes between I John and the Gospel by the same name. For illustrative purposes, I'm really only going to deal with the first chapter of I John, but the "purpose statement" of this letter can be found in the last chapter. John says that he writes these things "that you may know you have eternal life, and that you may believe on the name of the Son of God" (I John 5:13b). So it becomes evident by reading the entire letter through in one sitting, and paying attention to the "purpose statements" of this epistle (phrases like "these things I have written to you because..." or "I am writing to you so that.." or "I'm writing you because") that the Johannine community needs clarification or at least John through the Holy Spirit was concerned that they needed further information regarding the nature of salvation and assurance.

We will look at some more mechanics in the next entry-until next time.....

~Henry

No comments: