Tuesday, January 24, 2006

"One sows....another reaps"

John 4:37 And herein is that saying true, One soweth, and another reapeth. 4:38 I sent you to reap that whereon ye bestowed no labour: other men laboured, and ye are entered into their labours.

I know this is not typically thought of as one of the "difficult sayings" of Jesus, but I think this can be difficult to accept at times. It is particularly harder if you are on the "sowing" end of things instead of the reaping end. I believe far too many ministers have given up and fainted along the journey because they did not realize what season they were in. Paul told Timothy to be instant "in season and out of season." This alone should confirm that you and I will not always be in harvest mode. I know there are some ministers who will boldly declare there will be "no dry season" for the faithful, but those with experience will tell you a different story. There are some barren places along this walk of faith. There are some wilderness experiences- never forget that it was the Spirit that initially led Jesus into the wilderness to be tempted of Satan.

Jesus' disciples were walking into a great harvest field where they had bestowed no labor. Often we look at the crusades of men like Greg Laurie or Billy Graham, and we marvel at all of the souls they have won to Christ. I'm not here to take anything away from them- God has used both men mightily in the Kingdom of God. But I think we often forget about the massive campaigns of prayer, fasting, and evangelism that take place long before the crusades ever begin. Or about all of the altar workers, volunteers, and people who set up the stadiums (or whatever venue they take place in) and the equipment. We are quick to envy those who ascend to the pulpit and see the decisions for Christ, but we must understand that it probably would never have taken place without the sacrifice for others. Paul had to explain this to the Corinthians. They were notorious for thinking highly of public speakers. He had to remind them that one plants...another waters...but God makes everything grow!

This became real for me just this past weekend. I received a phone call from a dear friend from another church on Sunday afternoon. He and some others had organized a church just down the street from us about 4 or 5 years ago. They had dwindled some in attendance and had become frustrated. With just a small group of faithful believers remaining, they decided this past weekend to close their doors. Although my friend was sad that this was the end of an era for them (nobody likes it when churches close!), he was excited about the new things God was going to do. To get straight to the point- they took a vote on Sunday, and decided to donate all of their resources to our church (since we had such a good relationship). They are a Southern Baptist church and we are a Pentecostal church. I had bestowed no labor in their church- they have carried the burden...planted seeds...no doubt watered them numerous times. And yet I am reaping a harvest from their plowing. This in no way belittles what they have done- it merely illustrates the principle that sometimes we are in the plowing stages while others are reaping.

I have seen this in my own ministry. More often than not, I have been a planter and a plower, while others seemingly are more on the reaping end. But that does not diminish the work that God has allowed me to do nor does it diminish either of our reward(s). I want to encourage you today- you may be in a season of sowing and plowing and watering. But don't be surprised if one day you enter into another man's labors- and by all means- do not forget to be thankful for the sacrifices that they have made. I reference this man's name a lot, but I really enjoy hearing Raymond Culpepper speak. He tells a story of his father speaking to him as a young minister. He says his dad always told him no matter what size church that he went to preach in that he should thank God that someone made a sacrifice so that he would have somewhere to preach. The freedoms that you and I enjoy are because someone was willing to sacrifice their lives for a cause greater than themselves.

Be encouraged today!

-Henry

3 comments:

Pastor Jeff said...

There are a lot of times when I feel that way, like when I was the Jr. High youth pastor. I poured into these young teens, and some flourished, but others didn't seem to really grow in the faith and explode until hitting the main youth group. Some of the kids I admittedly was so frustrated with because they just didn't "get it", are the most on-fire kids in the group now. I can only rejoice when I see what God is doing in them.

Great message today, Pastor!

Neil said...

WOW! It is the season of perpetual harvest, when God brings fruit from seeds sown in the past...and yes, even seeds sown by others. This says to me that because we're connected as the Body of Christ we can partake of one another's harvest. What an awesome testimony of God's provision...I'm excited about what God is doing in your lives!

Darrell said...

That's awesome Henry! Of course we hate to see one church close, but what a blessing to you guys.
Thanks for a good word of encouragement today.