Tuesday, January 17, 2006

"I being in the way....the Lord led me"

Genesis 24:27 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master's brethren

Who hasn't wondered at some point or another if God even knows where we are? Of course we know theologically that God is omniscient, omnipresent, and nothing is hidden from His eyes. We can boldly state without hesitation that God knows all things, and works all things after the counsel of His own will. But if we will be honest with ourselves (and others), then we must admit there are times when we question if we are on the right track spiritually. I suppose that one of the most oft-asked questions I receive has to do with God's will. Many have become so anxious and worried about this that they run to and fro looking for a prophetic "word" of guidance from a minister. While it is true that God does use men and women at times to bring confirmation through a prophetic word, I believe that most of us are led "in the way."

We know that the psalmist declared "the steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord." One of my denomination's leaders, Dr. Raymond Culpepper wrote something about this in his book "Power Living." He stated (and I'm paraphrasing here) that many Christians look at the will of God as a tightrope in which we perilously teeter on the brink of destruction constantly. Culpepper stated that he prefers to think of God's will more like a canyon. This is not to say that a person cannot step outside of God's will through disobedience or unbelief, but we need to realize that God has a handle on our future. As badly as we want to do the will of God for our lives...I believe that God wants it even more. We can look at the life of Abraham and see how God intervened on behalf of this man in order to fulfill his prophetic destiny. We read several times where Abraham lied about Sarah and said she was his sister in order to save his own hide! (we find later on that his son Isaac did the same thing...I could really preach here but I'm going to resist the temptation) Not only that, but he and Sarah cooked up (what I like to call affectionately) "plan B" with Hagar. Despite these embarassing acts, God managed to keep Abraham on the right track and get him where he needed to be.

Despite the dreams, prophetic words, and other means of encouragement that God sends our way- we can still fall prey to the endless worries about being in the will of God. I posted a passage from Genesis right beneath the title of my article today. Abraham's servant is sent on a mission to find a bride for Isaac. He too is concerned about whether or not Rebekah will be willing to accept his offer and agree to come and be Isaac's bride. What seems like an everyday, ordinary event like hanging out at a watering hole, turns into a glorious revelation of God's leading. After asking for a sign from God (and receiving it) ,the servant extols and praises the God of Abraham saying "I being in the way...the Lord led me." Take comfort today my dear friends- you may feel like you are in a barren wilderness, or that you have totally blown it, but God has not forsaken you. Sometimes the miracle is in the mundane. You may be faithfully working your "dead-end job", cleaning the toilets at your church, mowing the lawn on your church property, but God knows where you are. If you have a desire to serve Him and to do His will- you can rest assured that He knows how to get you where you need to be. David was anointed to be king, and yet still tending to the sheep- but one day the call came to be king in Hebron- later in Jerusalem. Amos was not a fourth-generation prophet, but God called him into His service. Just keep being faithful in the little things and doing all that you know to do and I can assure you that if you stay "in the Way"...the Lord will lead you too!

2 comments:

Darrell said...

Nothing else to say but, "Amen!"

Pastor Jeff said...

Great message, Henry. I was wondering when you would get around to posting it, since you gave me a preview last week. Well, you know where I am right now, and this is an on-time word. I have a feeling more than a few will be encouraged by this.

BTW, I think you meant to say "cleaning the commodes"!LOL (to all who read this and think I'm nuts, inside joke)