Friday, January 02, 2009

The Power of Resolution

Rom 7:18
18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. (NKJ)

I titled today's entry "The Power of Resolution", but I'm actually going to talk about the inability of human resolution. In 2008, I started a regular exercise program. I spoke with one of the trainers at the gym a few weeks back and they told me that soon the place would be crawling with "the Resolutionists". This was the name all of the gym employees have given to this wonderful group of individuals. They join the gym after the holidays and resolve that this is the year they're going to get in shape! The statistics (and the fitness center trainers) say that the "resolutionists" usually vanish within a few months; if they make it that far!

Obviously God created human beings with incredible possibilities. Think of an athlete like Michael Phelps, Tiger Woods, or Michael Jordan. Or look at the advancements in modern medicine, technology, and other forms of research. When the Apostle Paul wrote to the Romans, he wasn't talking about merely achieving earthly goals. He was talking about the inability of human effort to produce lasting practical holiness.

Hopefully along with the physical goals you've set for the new year, you've set some spiritual goals as well. I believe the only way we're going to meet those goals, is by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans chapter 7 is a rather depressing chapter in many ways. Sadly, many Christians view Romans 7 as being normative of the Christian life. While true Christians can identify with Paul's words in Romans 7, I don't believe it's intended to be a prescription for the daily life of the Christian. I believe God's ideal for the believer is found in Romans chapter 8 (often referred to as "the Holy Spirit" chapter of the bible because of all the references to the Spirit). Romans 8 declares that what was not possible "in the flesh" is now possible through the Spirit.

May you have a greater dependency on the Holy Spirit in 2009 than you've ever had! And may it be true for me as well.

God bless and Happy New Year!

Until next time....

No comments: