Monday, October 09, 2006

2 Corinthians 3:12 Seeing then that we have such hope, we use great plainness of speech: (KJV)

Do you ever get the feeling that Christians, and especially leaders, get some kind of special satisfaction by speaking religious jargon? I often wonder what unbelievers think after listening to us speak or perhaps after reading some of our literature. Do they come away with a clear representation of the gospel message? Or do they simply walk away clueless because we have thoroughly confused the issue with complicated terminology and "Christianspeak"?

Now I do find it somewhat ironic that the Scripure I quoted above is from Paul- easily one of the most misunderstood writers of the New Testament. But this comment is not so much about difficulties in understanding doctrine, but rather in communicating the gospel. Paul was a master at communicating in the language of his listeners. He often used sports motifs (wrestling, boxing, running, etc.) to communicate spiritual truths. At Mars Hill, he was able to communicate to them in a way those people could clearly understand. To the Jews, he communicated and preached Christ to them from the perspective of the law of Moses. To the Gentiles, he was able to communicate Christ to them in such a way that they understood as well.

Today, I encourage and challenge you to ask God to help us communicate the love and grace of Jesus Christ in a way that is plain and easily understood. The older I get, the less interested I am in being perceived as a dynamic orator or writer- I'm much more interested that people actually understand the concepts I'm trying to teach. Are you using great plainness of speech today?

Until next time.....

1 comment:

Henry Haney said...

Hey Bossman! It's good to see you lurking around this corner of the web. Thanks for the comments-I agree with what you're saying- to the unbeliever all of it is "Greek" isn't it?

I appreciate the kind words- I love you too Brother!